1. Mineral Oil / Petrolatum / Petroleum: These cheap petroleum based ingredients clog the skin’s pores and enlarge them. This can cause acne, saggy skin, long term dry skin, and respiratory toxins.
2. Propylene Glycol: This cheap synthetic petrochemical is used as an emulsifying base in creams in lotions. This ingredient is often used in antifreeze, paint and plastic solvents. It causes the skin to age faster and sag as it can denature the skin’s protein. It can cause allergic reactions, liver damage, kidney damage, weaken the immune system, weaken the respiratory system, and inhibit brain function. The Material Safety Data Sheet warns to AVOID SKIN CONTACT directly on the label.
3. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS): Most products that lather contains this harmful lathering ingredient. Check your face wash, shampoo, toothpaste and soap for this ingredient. SLS is a proven skin irritant and can lead to acne-like lesions on your face and upper body. It can also lead to rashes, skin discoloration, liver damage, excessive body hair, and cancer! It also has a degenerative effect on the cell membranes and denature protein such as in hair or skin. Which can lead to damaged skin, hair loss, and inhibition of hair growth.
4. Parabens (Propyl-, Methyl-, Butyl- or Etylparaben): These ingredients offer an inexpensive way to increase the shelf life of products even though they are know to be highly toxic. Scientific studies have found that parabens have the potential to cause cancer. The estrogen activity of this ingredient has been directly linked to the development of certain cancers, including breast, prostate, ovarian, and uterine. The adverse effects of parabens continue to be studied.
5. Fragrance: The word “Fragrance” means a synthetic fragrance was made in a test tube from any of over 200 synthetic chemicals. These “fragrance” chemicals, which can bio-accumulate in your organs, can cause many symptoms such as headaches, lung problems, birth defects, central nervous system disorders, skin irritations, dizziness, memory impairment, hyper-pigmentation, rash, vomiting, even potential brain damage and more. They are very cheap, toxic imitation of real herbal scents.
This is only a list of 5 commonly used toxic, chemical ingredients that are used in many of the hair and skin care products on shelves today. There are many other harmful chemical that should be avoided as well. However, I purposely kept this list short as it’s all about taking small steps towards eliminating toxic chemicals from your life.
Thanks for helping me change the world one Organichead at a time!
Think Organic, Live Organic